Wednesday

Best of Intentions



"This very night you will all fall away on account of me…This very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."

But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

You have to love Peter and the others. They have the best of intentions. They pledge allegiance to their Teacher – You can count on us!

They sound like us sometimes, don’t they? We are not ashamed to be a student of Jesus. But then it happens.

We face people and circumstances hostile to Jesus. We hang back. Go along. Blend in.

It’s easy to stand up for Jesus during Sunday worship. The test comes on Monday around the water cooler. Or on Tuesday at the club meeting!

On Sunday we are ready to die for Jesus. On Wednesday we lose the courage to even speak His name. When it will cost us!

At church we easily sing, O’ How I Love Jesus, but on Thursday peer pressure causes us to say – Jesus who?

And on Friday, we still have the best of intentions.

Then it’s Saturday evening. Time to get ready for worship tomorrow!

We understand Peter and the others very well. Jesus does too. He doesn’t condemn them. He just warns them.

Jesus knows after His resurrection, they will renew their courage and stand up. Most will even give their lives for Him.

But until then - for now - they only have the best of intentions.

1 comment:

  1. There is a song we sometimes sing - "I'll be a friend to Jesus" In which the lyrics point out that Jesus was all alone during his trial. Then in the chorus it says, "I'll be a friend to Jesus"

    I have trouble singing that song. The writer I'm sure was convicted that being a friend to Jesus was important and that he would be just that.

    But Peter, James, John (the disciple Jesus loved) and all the others that had been with him the past 3 years - they all left. They abandoned.

    So how could I sing what sounds like I would have stayed there and stood by is side?

    I'd like to think... but ...

    We (I) turn away due to much less pressure.

    Humbling.

    ReplyDelete