Thursday

THE UNJUST JUDGE


Grant me justice against my adversary.

This is the widow’s plea to an unjust judge. The judge doesn’t care about the woman’s case. But she kept coming and begging her cause.

For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, “Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!"


Here the Teacher uses this story to contrast the concern of God for the pleas of His people. Unlike the unjust judge, God is attentive and open to their prayers.

And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly.

The Teacher wants us to know the heart of the Heavenly Father. There is a day of reckoning coming for those who oppose the faithful. And there is a day of justice for the oppressed of God.

Jesus closes with a question. It isn’t a question about the ultimate faithfulness and justice of God. It concerns our faithfulness in the face of delayed justice. It is a question of our persistence in the face of our adversaries.

God will be faithful. Will we?

However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment