Tuesday

INTRODUCTION TO THE BOOK OF JAMES

James 1:1
James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings.

The author of this book is thought to be the physical brother of Jesus. One who did not believe in Jesus in the beginning, but eventually came to faith and even prominence in the church at Jerusalem.

James is one of the first books of the New Testament, probably written to Jewish Christians who were scattered from Jerusalem during the persecution of Saul.

The writer moves quickly from discussing the value of suffering to practical day-to-day Christianity. Faith in action is the general theme.

It is not enough to be a Christian if this is not shown in one’s conduct.

This is what becoming a student of Jesus is all about. Changed behavior that springs from a changed heart! A heart transformed by a faith that cooperates with the Spirit in becoming more like Jesus.

The writer provides several tests of faith.

1. How responsive am I to God’s Word?
2. Does my faith lead me to be impartial to everyone?
3. Is my faith moving me to improved behavior?
4. Is my faith producing greater self-control?
5. Does faith lead me to repudiate worldliness in favor of God’s values?
6. Is my trust in God evidenced by my prayers to Him?

Someone has said that the Book of James is the Good News is shoe leather. Like Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, this book leaves little room for theoretical maneuvers. Perhaps this is why Biblical scholars have generally denigrated it.

However, for groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, who seek to modify human behavior, the Book of James, the Sermon on the Mount and First Corinthians chapter thirteen are frequently quoted and relied upon.

Brothers, my brothers or my beloved brothers frequently appear in James. Because of his Elder Brother, James now has many brothers and sisters. This is a book for those who want to be better students of Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment