Friday

LORD’S PRAYER



I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us…


This is the real Lord’s Prayer. Here is the deepest desire of His heart.

Unity!

Unity among all of His students for all time! And a hopeful invitation to unity with God forever!

What is He talking about?

Some have mistakenly limited the idea of unity to harmony of belief and doctrine among followers. Of course, that idea is included, but it is not the main thing.

Jesus is saying much more than God and I believe the same things and we hope everyone else will believe as we do.

His prayer is for a commonality of character to grow from the truth He brings. That His students will be filled with the unifying love of God!

I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.



Here is a prayer for unity based upon the shared character of the Father and the Son. A possibility now opened to the world through the Teacher’s life-revelation of the heart of God.

In a few hours Jesus will go to the cross to make forgiveness of sin a reality for all those who follow Him. Then everyone who becomes His serious student will gradually become more like Him.

And why? So they can become like their Teacher in love, peace, joy, mercy, patience, kindness, faithfulness and goodness; for by sharing the character of God, students become one with Him.

This is the unity Jesus earnestly asks for. It is the Lord’s Prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment